Houston Boat Accident Lawyers
with Proven Results
The Preeminent rated attorneys at the Baumgartner Law Firm have been representing seriously injured Texans for over 30 years. We have substantial experience in helping victims of boat accidents. Whether the injury happened with the pleasure boat, Jet Ski or personal watercraft or commercial vessel, we understand complications of boat accident litigation and how to maximize personal injury recoveries.
Texas is a boater’s paradise with the most square miles of inland lakes of any state in the union. Additionally, our coastline provides much more recreational opportunities for Texas boaters.
Victims of boat accidents often have legal rights and options and we offer a no obligation consultation to answer questions and concerns after a boating accident.
How Can Our Boat Accident Attorneys Help?
Initial investigations after a boat accident are a very important step to help preserve your rights and options. While the Parks and Wildlife Department generally investigate serious injury or wrongful death boat crashes, it’s important to have your own team analyze the cause of the accident.
According to Section 31.104 of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code and operator after a boat accident is required to:
- Render assistance to other people as may be practical and necessary
- Exchange names, address and identification of the boat in writing to any person injured or the owner of any property damaged in a boat accident. Rules That Apply To Boating
- 85% of boating drowning victims in Texas did not have a life preserver on
- Most boating accidents occur on the weekends between the hours of noon and 7 PM
- Intoxicated operators cause many accidents
- Alcohol plays a role in about 50% of all boating accidents in the United States.
- In 2013 there were over 200 boating accidents that resulted in 85 injuries and 22 fatalities.
- There were over 200 arrests for boating while intoxicated in the state of Texas in the year 2013.
Often, boat accidents are caused by inexperienced operators. Mandatory boat operator education is required for anyone who was born after September 1, 1993 to operate a personal watercraft and certain motorboats.
Children younger than 13 years of age must wear a life jacket while in the boat that is less than 26 feet in length.
Right-of-way and other rules apply to boat accidents as they do to car accidents in the state of Texas.
Boat Accident Statistics in Texas
For more Texas boat accident statistics click here.