Injured in a car accident? We can help! Our personal injury attorneys at Baumgartner Law Firm have been helping Houston car crash victims get maximum compensation for decades.
Call us at (281) 587-1111.
As hard as you try to keep you and your family safe, thousands of lives are lost and many more are injured in Houston car accidents each year. When disaster strikes, you need Baumgartner Law Firm on your side.
Talking with an experienced car accident attorney who specializes in Houston cases should be among the first things you do after a car wreck.
We help victims who have been injured and the families of those killed due to the negligence of another. For over three decades, the top-rated car accident attorneys at Baumgartner Law Firm have handled cases in the greater Houston, TX area and worked hard to ensure each car wreck victim receives the maximum possible compensation.
Call us before talking to an insurance adjuster. There is no charge for your car accident injury consultation.
~ Client TC
My family was unfortunate to need the services of the Baumgartner Law Firm, but very grateful they were available to us. We knew we were in good hands from our very first conversation. They handled all issues no matter how minor they were. Everyone made us feel like we were their most important client. I would highly recommend the Baumgartner Law Firm if you want someone who will get the job done with integrity and loyalty.
Read dozens more client stories in our Google Reviews.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
The steps you take immediately following your car accident can have a great impact on your insurance claim and the compensation available to you in legal proceedings.
Follow the steps below. Don’t worry, we know it can be difficult to remember exactly what to do in the moments following an accident – especially if you’re injured and/or in shock. You’ll find a copy you can download and keep in your car following this list.
Call 911 & Seek Medical Attention if Needed
- Take note of your location (street name or highway sign) to provide to the operator.
- Be aware that delaying treatment can make insurance coverage matters more difficult.
Gather Information About the Accident
- The other driver’s name address and telephone number.
- The driver’s license number of the other person and the license plate of the car that hit you.
- The name address and telephone number of any witnesses.
- Photographs of the vehicles’ resting place before they are moved and damage to both vehicles.
- Recording of any statements by the other driver admitting fault.
Call the Police
- Police reports can help determine fault.
- The official crash report helps prevent the other side from changing their story.
Notify Your Insurance Company
- Regardless of who was at fault, notify your insurance company immediately.
- Do not communicate with the opposing party’s insurance company or release medical/employment or other records to them before speaking with your attorney.
- Do not accept the insurance company’s valuation of your claim without consulting your car accident attorney.
Assess Whether Medical Attention May Still Be Necessary
- Even if injuries were not immediately apparent, seek medical attention right away if you experience stiffness or pain after the accident.
Obtain an Accident Report
- The police accident report should be submitted to the Texas Department of Transportation within 10 days.
- Request your copy through the crash report online purchase system at https://www.txdot.gov/driver/safety/crash-reports.html.
- You will need specific information to file the request, including:
- The names of the parties involved in the accident.
- Date of the accident.
- Location of the accident.
Crash report costs:
- $6 for a regular copy
- $8 for a certified copy for a legal proceeding.
Contact Your Personal Injury Attorney
- Call Baumgartner Law Firm at (281) 587-1111 to answer any questions you may have, make sure you’ve taken all possible steps to protect yourself, and walk you through the rest of the process.
- Take advantage of a free personal injury consultation.
Should I contact the Houston police after a car wreck?
- Texas law requires the officer to file a police report if someone is hurt or killed in a car wreck, or if there is more than $1,000 in property damage.
- Often you are in an accident and call the police, but after an hour they still haven’t arrived. This forces you to exchange information with the other driver and leave the accident scene. Officers not showing up timely to a crash site is a problem in Houston and across Harris County.
However, if an officer does not show up at the scene, a report will not be filed. In Texas, you may file a Driver’s Crash Report (CR-2) online on the TxDOT website.
How long do I have to file a claim?
- In Texas, a personal injury lawsuit from a car collision must be filed within two years from the date of the crash. Do not delay – if the statute of limitations passes, you may not be able to recover any compensation for your car accident injury.
Have you been in a car accident? Get a free consultation now and see what compensation may be available to you.
Download Your Free Houston Car Accident Checklist
We created this handy checklist to help accident victims when they need it most.
Print and keep a copy in your wallet or glovebox so you’ll know exactly what to do in the critical moments immediately following a car wreck.
Texas Car Accidents Facts: Did You Know?
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 1 person was killed every 2 hours 15 minutes and 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 34 seconds on Texas roadways in 2020. Here are a few other car accidents facts you need to know:
Common types of car accidents in Houston
Car wrecks are an unfortunate reality in Houston, as they are on all roadways, and even minor car accidents can cause serious injury. From left-hand turn and rear-end accidents to head-on collisions, multi-vehicle accidents have the potential to inflict real harm.
Rollover accidents, tire blowouts, and highway accidents can be particularly severe. When your injuries are the result of another person’s negligence, we can help. Some of these claims are clearer cut than others; for example:
- hit-and-run accidents
- Uber and rideshare accidents with driver negligence
- taxi and limo accidents with driver negligence
- distracted driving accidents
- drunk driving accidents
Other types of negligence can be more difficult to prove. Baumgartner Law Firm helps car accident victims and their loved ones navigate the process to a fair settlement so you can focus on what matters most – healing and recovery.
How Your Car Accident Attorney Helps & Protects You
Consulting with an experienced car accident attorney can help ensure you get the compensation needed to make a full recovery and that those responsible are held accountable.
Why should I hire a lawyer for my car accident claim?
Insurance companies don’t want you to hire a car accident lawyer, as there are a lot of things the adjuster doesn’t want you to know. For example, with your own attorney:
- You’re more likely to win and walk away with more money.
- You’ll have someone to protect you when the negligent driver starts to blame you.
- You will have assistance in conducting an investigation and gathering evidence.
- You’ll have protection against the insurance company’s pressure to settle for less than you deserve.
- You can simply focus on your recovery and ensure you’ll have the resources to do it.
We will guide you through every step of the legal process. Baumgartner Law Firm has recovered scores of 6- and 7-figure results, and all car accident claims are handled on a contingency fee basis. We only get paid if you win!
~ Client TR
My car was hit by a drunk driver, nearly killing me. The driver then tried to leave the scene after leaving me in a coma.
Greg Baumgartner was a big part of my recovery. He and his team made sure that I was taken care of and there was no way for the drunk driver to run from what he had done.
He helped me heal by letting me concentrate on my recovery, finding me great doctors and handled all of the headache of the settlement. He got me more than I imagined possible to combat the medical bills piling up and the settlement has helped me these past years.
My settlement will continue to help me for years to come.
Even though the case has been settled he has kept in contact showing that he is truly concerned about his clients. He is a great lawyer and remains a great friend to this day. I would recommend him to anyone who is in need of help.
Read dozens more client stories in our Google Reviews.
How long does the insurance company have to resolve a claim?
Don’t expect insurance companies to be fair on personal injury claims. The insurance adjuster’s job is to make sure the company pays out as little as it can get away with.
If your car has been damaged or if you’ve been hurt in an accident, you need to file an insurance claim.
For property damage claims, contact the insurance company for the driver who received a ticket for causing the crash.
The other driver’s insurer will need to speak with their insured to determine if they will pay your claims. Also, the adjuster may need to wait for the crash report to be completed and may seek to interview witnesses before deciding to pay.
Expect it to take several days to process a claim.
Another option is to make a claim with your own insurance company for the property damage.
Using your own insurance is much quicker and less stressful. If you do claim under your policy, your insurer will seek its money back from the negligent party’s insurance company. In that case, you should receive your deductible back when they collect the money.
If you were injured in the crash, it’s important that you have a local attorney to represent your best interests.
Should I share my medical records with the insurance adjuster?
Without a reputable car accident lawyer fighting for you, you’re at the mercy of the insurance company. It is in your best interests to hire a leading personal injury lawyer in Houston to represent you.
Should I give a statement to the insurance company after my car accident?
Before making an insurance claim, we suggest tending to your injuries first. You should always seek the medical help you need. We also believe you should not give a statement to the insurance adjuster.
How Much is My Houston Car Accident Claim Worth?
Legal damages in Texas for personal injury from a motor vehicle accident include pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages or income, disability, disfigurement, mental anguish, and costs associated with the death of a loved one.
See this video for more:
What types of compensation can be recovered in an auto accident claim?
Pain and suffering are only one component of the legal damages in a personal injury case. We help car accident victims and their loved ones hold the responsible party accountable for all of their injuries and expenses. This can include financial compensation for pain and suffering, personal injury claims, emotional distress, non-economic damages, funeral expenses, loss of future income, and more.
Mental suffering may include depression, loss of enjoyment of life, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Eligible medical expenses could include:
- physical therapy
- medical treatment and care for the injured person
- medical equipment
- bodily injury
- recovery process
- medical specialist appointments and services
- on-going medical care and outpatient care
- ongoing expenses
- chiropractic treatment
Texas courts don’t use the multiplier method to calculate pain and suffering. However, insurance companies may use a variation of the method. The multiplier method first takes your medical bills, then multiplies the number by the factor and adds in proven lost wages.
You may also be eligible for out-of-pocket costs and property damage – even if the insurance company tries to deny these claims or offer a lower amount than you deserve.
What is the valuation of a car accident claim in Texas based on?
Important claim valuation considerations include:
- How bad is the property damage? Was it a severe impact or a fender bender?
- What are the treating physicians saying about your diagnosis and prognosis?
- Was there any delay in receiving medical attention?
- What are the objective findings in medical testing?
- What were the circumstances surrounding the accident? Was drunk driving a factor?
- Was a commercial vehicle involved?
- Is long-term medical care necessary?
- What is the insurance coverage for the at-fault driver?
- Did you give a recorded statement?
- What are the opinions in the accident report?
One of the variables for the insurance company to consider is who your lawyer is. Proof of each damage claim must be presented, and the kind of proof you have will impact a case. Objective findings in medical tests help as does the testimony of treating physicians.
Hiring an experienced Houston auto injury lawyer is an important step in making sure you have the best proof possible and getting the best settlement.
What is the average settlement for a car accident in Houston or Texas?
Take a deeper dive into Houston car accident settlements and how they’re calculated here.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
When you work with us, it costs nothing upfront.
Baumgartner Law Firm agrees to take serious injury claims on a contingency fee basis. That means that our pay is contingent upon you receiving money.
We receive our fee out of the settlement paid by the insurance companies.
There is no out-of-pocket expense for you to hire Baumgartner Law Firm as your attorney. We advance litigation costs to develop your personal injury lawsuit.
Here’s What You Need To Know About the Car Accident Lawsuit Process
In Texas, the statute of limitations for car accident injury claims is two years. It’s important that you begin gathering the information and evidence to support your case immediately following the accident.
Your attorney will represent your best interests and pursue the negligent party in settlement negotiations.
Your case may also go through a phase of mediation. If it is not resolved and the insurance company will not agree to a fair settlement, we will take your case to trial.
This first involves the Discovery Phase, then any Motions for Summary Judgment.
Your car accident attorney in Houston will use the following evidence in a lawsuit for injuries:
- Medical records documenting treatment and injuries
- Medical bills showing the cost of necessary care caused by a car crash
- Lost wage calculations from clients’ employers.
- Doctor testimony regarding diagnosis, prognosis, and the cause of injuries sustained in the car crash
- Lifecare planners for those with catastrophic injuries for extended periods of time or a lifetime
- Friends and family members may testify about the impact of the traffic accident on their loved one
- Video of the scene and crash, if available
Working with Baumgartner Law Firm ensures you can focus on your recovery and won’t miss gathering any important evidence or meeting legal deadlines. Learn more about those here.
How Can Baumgartner Law Firm in Houston Help You?
- Dealing with the other drivers’ insurance company on your behalf.
- Analyzing how the crash occurred.
- Negotiating with your own insurance company.
- Doing the legwork on your case.
- Helping you get medical care or physical therapy.
- Evaluating the case and getting evidence.
- Obtaining your medical records and bills.
- Getting information from the local police department or law enforcement agencies.
- Negotiating fair compensation for your injuries.
- Filing a lawsuit to hold the other driver accountable, when necessary.
Who We Help
Not every type of auto accident requires a lawyer. Accidents without injury don’t require a personal injury attorney, and a car accident victim with only a minor injury may not even need a lawyer.
After being hurt in a collision in Houston, some handle their injury claims themselves. But trying to work with the driver’s insurance company can end up costing you money in the long run.
~ April Dangerfield
I have hired Baumgartner Law Firm on two separate occasions, when I’ve needed a personal injury lawyer after some serious accidents. Both times Greg and his staff have given my family top-notch effort, and have treated us like we are of the utmost importance to him, and the end results have been that we have received satisfactory resolutions to both instances that were more than fair.
If you want a lawyer that will go to bat for you, and will think outside the box to try every available avenue for justice, AND is a genuinely nice guy to work with, look no further. I, and my family, are super grateful for the work he’s done, and will recommend him every single time.
Read dozens more client stories in our Google Reviews.
Accidents involving personal injury or death
If you’ve been involved in a serious car accident in Houston, we can help. Here are some examples of the types of personal injuries we may seek compensation for:
- head and brain trauma and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- whiplash & neck injuries
- lacerations, cuts, burns, and scrapes
- chest injuries
- arm & leg injuries
- spinal injuries
- soft tissue injuries
- fractured and broken bones
- physical pain
- internal bleeding
- chronic pain
- catastrophic injury that impacts mobility or quality of life
Losing a loved one in a car accident
When the worst happens, we help the families of fatal car accident victims with a wrongful death claim. These cases may include medical costs incurred as a result of the accident prior to death, funeral expenses, loss of future income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and property damages.
Why Car Accident Victims Choose Us
The top-rated car accident attorneys at Baumgartner Law Firm handle cases in the greater Houston, TX area.
You get a preeminent-rated attorney from a car accident law firm voted one of the best in Houston.
Our car accident attorneys charge no upfront costs and have a reputation for winning fair compensation that spans three decades.
We have helped thousands of people maximize compensation after a car accident and know the common defense tactics negligent parties use inside and out.
You come first! We handle your case so you can focus on recovery.
We don’t get paid unless you win. Your initial consultation is free and we cover all costs in developing your case, only recovering expenses when you receive your settlement.
Houston Car Accident FAQs
What are the most common types of car accidents in Houston?
- Rear-end Crash Accidents
- Head-on Car Accidents
- Ride Share & Taxi Crashes
- Car Accidents Involving a Bus
- Car Accidents Involving a Motorcycle
- Car Accidents Involving a Semi Truck
- Car Accidents Involving a Drunk Driver
How can I obtain a copy of my Texas traffic crash report?
- Accident scene
- vehicle damage
- crash scene
In Texas, you can file a Driver’s Crash Report (CR-2) request online on the TxDOT website. If the other person is at fault, we recommend that you wait for the officer to arrive at the scene. Having the officer prepare the report is better than you filing a report online at a later time.
While your online report will not be helpful to your injury claim, the police-prepared report may help.
What information do I need to provide my car accident lawyer?
You can help us help you by providing the date of your car accident, the general location of the crash, the police case number, any photographs of the scene and injuries, and other key information at your consultation. See this comprehensive list of information you should provide your car accident attorney for more.
What should I do after a car accident?
Do you know what steps to take immediately following a car accident? It’s not uncommon for the aftermath of a car wreck to be a chaotic, confusing scene. Always remember that tending to your injuries and getting medical help is the #1 priority.
Print and keep a copy of this Houston Car Accident Checklist in your wallet or glovebox so you’ll know exactly what to do in the critical moments immediately following a car wreck.
Check out this list of Dos and Don’ts, as well. And of course, give us a call if you have any questions.
Fill out the form to get your free checklist