An experienced Katy personal injury lawyer provides a pathway toward recovery for injured plaintiffs. These injured individuals often struggle with excessive medical costs – as well as months, years, or even a lifetime of missed wages. In addition, plaintiffs may experience other damages like pain and suffering and other non-economic damages.
All of these issues can alter the trajectory of a plaintiff’s life forever. While nothing can ever take back the physical and emotional scars of a serious accident, you can pursue compensation for these losses with confidence and efficiency.
Katy Is located between Harris, Fort Bend, and Waller counties. I-10, also called the Katy Freeway, runs right through Katy, connecting Katy to Houston. The Katy Freeway is the widest in the US, with up to 26 lanes.
Since 1985, the Baumgartner Law Firm has assisted accident victims in Katy, Texas. We have unique insight into how traumatic these events can be, and we recognize the importance of compensation after life-altering accidents.
If you’ve suffered serious injuries in an accident caused by someone else, you have options. Keep reading to learn how a Katy personal injury attorney can help you secure the compensation you deserve.
As leading personal injury lawyers serving Katy, Texas, Baumgartner Law Firm has gained a reputation for delivering excellent results – including numerous multi-million-dollar wins. Ready to explore your options for compensation? Schedule a free consultation with us today
How Can a Katy Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
There is no legal requirement to hire a Katy personal injury lawyer. However, these professionals can offer plaintiffs various forms of meaningful assistance. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Katy approaches each case with in-depth knowledge of this Houston suburb – including the nearby Buffalo Bayou and the often-hectic Interstate 10.
Here are a few of the many reasons you should consider hiring a personal injury attorney in Katy for legal guidance:
- Experience. Work with an experienced Katy personal injury lawyer, and you’ll benefit from a wealth of knowledge. These accomplished attorneys have seen it all, and they can overcome even the rarest challenges that might arise in your personal injury case. They can also help you avoid common mistakes that newer, less experienced lawyers might make.
- Qualifications. Always seek an experienced attorney who handles nothing but personal injury cases if you have a serious case.
- Negotiation skills. Most Katy personal injury lawyers are excellent negotiators. The majority of personal injury claims are settled out of court without ever going to trial, and negotiating for a fair injury settlement is critical. Experienced injury lawyers can negotiate effectively with insurance adjusters, using proven tactics to secure compensation for their clients. Without a lawyer at the negotiating table, it is all too easy to be deceived and lowballed by profit-driven insurance companies.
- Investigative techniques. You may need to obtain a wide range of evidence and documentation to back up your injury claim in Katy. Lawyers understand exactly how to collect compelling evidence on your behalf. Remember, you may need to prove that someone else was to blame for your injuries to secure compensation.
- Time savings. Many injured plaintiffs become overwhelmed by various priorities after their accidents. You might spend weeks in a hospital before release. Even then, you may need to schedule constant check-ups and specialist appointments. You may need to communicate with your employer about taking time off. With such a hectic schedule, there is simply no time to consider legal matters. Fortunately, an injury lawyer can handle almost the entire process of an injury claim on your behalf while you focus on recovery.
Who Can File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Katy?
A few of the most important considerations when assessing your eligibility to pursue a personal injury claim are listed below.
The most important requirement is the existence of negligence. In other words, you must show that someone else was to blame for your accident if you want to pursue compensation for your injuries.
An obvious example of negligence is a reckless motorist who causes a car accident. Texas is a modified comparative negligence state, meaning you can file an injury claim if you are less than 51% responsible for your own accident. Examples of driver negligence include distraction, intoxication, and speeding.
The Statute of Limitations
In addition, you must file your injury lawsuit within a certain amount of time. This time limit is also known as the “statute of limitations.” You may be barred from legal action if the statute of limitations expires. In Texas, the statute of limitations for most personal injury lawsuits is two years. It is important to note that this time limit begins from the date of the accident. However, you must speak with an attorney to determine the limitations dates for your specific case.
Finally, most employees cannot file injury lawsuits against their employers for workplace accidents if their employer had workers comp coverage. Most workplace injuries will instead lead to workers’ compensation claims. However, this rule has a few exceptions, including situations involving gross negligence and claims against third parties like contractors.
Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits in Katy, Texas
There are countless types and subtypes of personal injury lawsuits. In most cases, anyone who sustains serious injuries or losses in an accident caused by someone else is eligible to pursue an injury lawsuit in Katy in one form or another. Here are some of the most prevalent categories:
- Auto accident claims. Auto accident lawsuits might involve pedestrian collisions, bicycle accidents, truck crashes, motorcycle accidents, and all other related incidents. These often result in catastrophic or fatal injuries.
- Premise liability lawsuits. A premise liability lawsuit involves a property owner’s negligence, allowing a plaintiff to suffer preventable injuries on their premises. These injuries might include slips and falls caused by spills or debris. They might also involve burns caused by fire code violations. Another type of premise liability claim is a “negligent security lawsuit,” which occurs when business owners fail to protect patrons from violent criminals.
- Child injury lawsuits. A child injury lawsuit may involve both physical and psychological harm. “Lookback windows” may allow adults to file claims against organizations (including churches) for childhood abuse – even after the statute of limitations has expired. Injuries that happen at daycare centers are common claims.
- Wrongful death claims. Families can file wrongful death claims on behalf of deceased loved ones. These lawsuits can compensate for missed future wages, funeral expenses, unpaid medical costs, and a range of non-economic damages.
- Animal attacks. Although they are often called “dog bite lawsuits,” claims involving animal attacks can involve various animals and might not involve bite-related injuries. Dogs and other animals can cause a range of injuries by biting. Owners might be liable for injuries caused by their animals.
- Product liability. Companies involved in product design, manufacture, or marketing owe consumers a clear duty of care. If a defective product causes injuries, affected consumers have a right to file a claim to hold negligent companies accountable.
Although these are some common categories of personal injury claims, they do not represent a comprehensive list. If you have questions about whether or not your accident qualifies you to file a lawsuit, contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
What Do I Need to Prove in a Katy Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A plaintiff may need to present various forms of evidence to support their injury lawsuit. This evidence generally revolves around the four elements of negligence: Duty of care, breach of duty, causation, and damages.
Your lawyer can collect the necessary evidence to establish the first three elements of negligence: The defendant owed you a duty of care, breached their duty, and this breach led directly to your injuries. In the meantime, the most helpful thing you can do is collect evidence of your damages.
Damages in a Katy personal injury lawsuit fall into Economic and non-economic categories. Economic damages include financial losses such as medical expenses, property damage, and missed wages. The best way to establish the legitimacy of your injuries is to seek medical attention immediately after your accident. Not only will this lead to better health outcomes, but it will also create clear documentation of your injuries in the form of medical records. You can then use these medical records to establish the existence of your injuries and the actual cost of treatment.
You might also want to collect evidence of your past earning history. Tax returns, pay stubs, and income statements can help establish the wages you have lost due to your injuries. You might need to collect a few years of income-related evidence to calculate average earnings. Finally, you should keep receipts of any additional out-of-pocket expenses related to your accident – such as vehicle repair costs.
Katy Personal Injury Lawyer FAQs
If you have been injured due to someone else's fault, contact a reputable attorney as soon as possible. Timing is crucial in personal injury cases. The sooner you start working with a top lawyer, the better your chances of success.
Determining liability is not always straightforward when someone is injured. There may be conflicting evidence of fault, or multiple parties may share responsibility for the accident. An experienced attorney can look into the facts of your case to identify all potentially liable parties.
Sometimes, the injured victim may have some degree of fault for the accident. Even if that’s the case, the injured person may still be entitled to compensation under the proportionate responsibility law in Texas. However, under Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code § 33.001, your percentage of fault must be 50 or less to be eligible for compensation.
It is impossible to estimate the value of a personal injury claim without closely examining all the facts surrounding the accident and injuries. Generally, the case’s worth depends on the severity of the victim’s injury, its long-term effects, and available insurance coverage.
In Texas, people injured in accidents due to the negligence of others generally have up to two years to file a lawsuit against the negligent party (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code § 16.003). However, you must speak to a personal injury lawyer about your case to determine the time limits for your case.
If your injuries are other than minor, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Katy. Sometimes, people trying to handle an injury case alone may make mistakes in handling the claim, resulting in a low settlement.
We charge no money up-front to take on your case. We also advance necessary costs to move your case forward. Only when a case is resolved are we paid a percentage of the recovery and reimbursed our out-of-pocket expenses.
Some things are vital for proving a strong compensation claim. Here are some things you can do to help:
- Get medical care for your injuries and follow up with treatment as your doctors recommend.
- Keep all documentation and evidence related to the case.
- Document your lost wages and other expenses.
- Hire the best injury attorney in Katy.
Baumgartner Law Firm Katy Personal Injury Lawyer Practice Areas
Since 1985, Baumgartner Law Firm has limited our law practice to serious personal injury cases. Our legal team has won maximum compensation for thousands of accident victims and recovered millions of dollars for real people like you. The practice areas we focus on are the following:
- Auto & Car Accidents
- Catastrophic and Severe Injuries
- Construction Site Accidents
- Daycare Negligence & Child Injury
- Dram Shop Lawsuits
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Lyft Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Truck Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
Medical and Emergency Resources for Katy, Texas Accident Victims
If you’ve been in an accident and need medical care, here is a list of local healthcare providers and emergency room centers.
Local Hospitals in Katy, TX
Katy, TX Emergency Rooms
Baumgartner Law Firm: Experienced Katy Personal Injury Lawyers
Ready to take control of your future? A Katy personal injury lawyer is waiting to assist you. While online research is a positive first step, the real action begins when you contact a legal professional. Each injury claim is slightly different, and a lawyer can offer personalized advice based on your situation.
Remember: Time is of the essence, and the statute of limitations may prevent you from pursuing compensation if you wait too long. Contact the Baumgartner Law Firm today to discuss the details of your accident in more detail. We are passionate about keeping the Katy community safe – and we can hold negligent parties accountable for putting the public in danger. Reach out today to book a consultation.
How to get to Baumgartner Law Firm from Katy, TX
Baumgartner Law Firm
6711 Cypress Creek Pkwy, Houston, TX, 77069