Cypress, TX Personal Injury Attorney
Houston is the hub of trucking activity for the state of Texas, and federal law imposes minimum levels of safe conduct on those 18-wheeler drivers and motor carriers (someone who transports passengers or property for compensation) that pass through the state. These safe conduct laws impose a mandatory 10-hour rest period on all truck drivers or motor carriers who have:
- More than 11 total driving hours in a single 24-hour period; or
- Been on duty for more than 14 hours in a single 24-hour period.
Yet many truck drivers – who receive the same compensation whether it takes them 12, 24 or 36 hours to arrive at their destination – ignore these rules every day. They drive long hours without taking any break at all, sacrificing your safety in the interest of their own bottom-line. This willful violation of the rules results in truck accidents that inflict serious, and often fatal, injury.
Impact of Texas Truck Accidents
The Federal Department of Transportation Analysis and Information Online compiles crash statistics for vehicle accidents involving large trucks. In 2013, there occurred 15,637 accidents in Texas involving large trucks. Those truck accidents caused 562 fatalities and 8,181 injuries, and left a serious financial and emotional toll on the victims and their loved ones.
Large trucks include:
- Trucks weighing more than 10,000 pounds;
- Motor vehicles designed to transport nine or more people; or
- Vehicles displaying a hazardous materials placard.
The Houston truck accident lawyers at Baumgartner Law Firm understand the physical, financial and emotional devastation that occurs when you or a loved one is seriously injured or killed in a Houston truck accident. The effects of being involved in a truck accident can have long-lasting impact and result in:
- Medical bills, for immediate and continued medical care
- Lost wages, both for the victim and family members who must care for him
- Years of physical rehabilitation
- Loss of function
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lifelong, chronic, debilitating pain, which may result in an inability to work
How Baumgartner Law Firm Can Help
If you have been involved in a Houston truck accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the truck driver and his employer for your injuries. Our Cypress, TX personal injury lawyers have been recognized as a leading personal injury firm in Houston by the authorities on lawyer rankings. With more than 25 years’ experience handling Houston truck accidents, we will fight to help you secure your financial future.