Important Information to Obtain After A Car Wreck
Documenting your accident to the extent you can is an important step in preserving your claim.
Information That should be obtained if you are able at the scene
- The other drivers name address and telephone number
- The drivers license number of the other person
- The license plate of the car that hit you
- The name address and telephone number of any witnesses
- Taking photographs of the resting place of the vehicles before they are moved
- Taking photographs of the damage to your vehicle and the vehicle that hit you
- Recording any statements by the driver that hit you indicating fault.
Taking photographs with your cell phone and recording voice memos with the same smart phone can obtain much of the information that you need to obtain at the scene of an accident.
If you can get the other driver to give you a statement on your phone it will go a long ways to prevent them from changing her story later on.
With serious injuries you may not be able to obtain the necessary information as your being transported to the hospital. Do not worry, as the investigating authority will undoubtedly get the majority of the information for you. However, it is important that you ask the officer as soon as you can if they documented any witnesses and obtain the names and telephone numbers of such witnesses.
Police officers routinely do not record the witness’s names and they can provide very powerful evidence should the case go to trial.