How to Get a Houston Accident Report
Written by Greg on June 8, 2020
This guide will take you through the steps and costs to obtain your Houston accident report.
What information is needed to get a copy of the accident report
Here is the form you must fill out. Required information includes:
- The ID number you received from the investigating officer
- Your name and the name of the other drivers
- Date of the accident
- Location the crash occurred
What is the cost of a copy of the accident report?
The cost for an accident report is six dollars for a regular copy or eight dollars for a certified copy. We suggest getting a certified copy if you expect to make an injury claim.
Why a certified copy?
If your case gets to court, some parts of the crash report may be admissible as evidence. Getting a certified copy helps in that event.
Here is how to obtain a Houston crash report!
- In person-You can fill out a request form and go to the Houston Police Department at 1200 Travis Street, Houston, TX 77002 and buy a copy for six dollars.
- By mail– Mail in the request form and include a six-dollar money order and a self-addressed and pre-stamped envelope.
- On-line-You can buy the HPD crash report online from the Texas Department of Transportation by following this link https://cris.dot.state.tx.us/public/Purchase/app/home/welcome
When are accident reports required?
In Texas, if the crash results in an injury, death, or where the vehicle involved has more than $1000 damage. The written crash reports should be turned in by the investigating officer within ten days of the wreck according to law.
How long do you have to wait to get an accident report?
The Texas Department of Transportation gets reports from all over the state for collisions that happen on public roads in Texas. Usually, you must wait at least a week before the crash report is ready. If the accident involved a fatality, the reports would always take longer, as the investigation is more thorough. In some cases, the accident report may be ready in five days. For non-fatal accidents, the reports can take up to 14 days in reality. Unfortunately, recently it has been taking longer than 10 days in many instances for the crash report to be ready.
What to do after a car accident
- Report the accident
- If you are injured in a car crash, you should call 911 at the scene. Alternatively, if it is not an emergency, you can call the HPD’snon-emergency line at 713-884-3131 to report a Houston auto accident.
- Seek Medical Care– If you are injured, get treatment as soon as possible. Follow up as recommended by the hospital or your doctors. Seek out specialists when appropriate.
- For an injury, find an experienced car accident lawyer.
Talk with a leading car accident lawyer
The Houston personal injury attorneys at Baumgartner Law Firm have been helping folks injured in auto accidents for over three decades. Our recent results speak for themselves. If someone you love has been hurt in a car wreck in Houston, call us.