The University of Alabama in a recent study sited the average costs of spinal cord injury to be:
- Length of initial hospital care (acute care)- 15 days
- Average rehab stay- 44 days
- Initial hospital costs- $140,000
- First year expenses (all groups of spinal cord injury) $198,000
- First year expenses with quadriplegics- $417,000
- Percentage of Spinal Cord injury victims unemployed 8 years later- 63%
- Percent covered by private insurance -52%
These figures are national averages and larger metropolitan areas such as Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio have significantly higher costs for medical care. Some of our cases have life time medical care alone projected to be several million dollars. Add in lost income and families can easily be financially devastated by an accident.
Fortunately, Houston has some of the finest physicians in the world, is on the cutting edge of spinal cord injury care and options exist today that were unavailable 10 years ago.
If you or a loved one is a victim of an accident causing spinal cord injury and need assistance getting proper medical care or just want to talk with an experienced attorney before the insurance company, call the Baumgartner Law Firm today. Hospital consultations are available.