If you’re a motorcyclist, the chances of you being in an accident are high. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are about 26 times more likely to die in a crash than people in cars. That is a startling statistic, but it’s one that riders must be aware of.
This article will go over the common causes of motorcycle accidents, steps you can take to avoid an accident, and what to do if you’re involved in a motorcycle accident.
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, the experienced motorcycle accident lawyers at Baumgartner Law Firm can help. Call for a free consultation – at (281) 587-1111.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
There is a stereotype that motorcycle riders are thrill-seekers who take unnecessary risks on the road. While there may be some truth to that, the reality is that other drivers, not riders cause most motorcycle accidents.
Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Inclement weather
- Mechanical failures
- Poorly maintained roads
- Car doors opening
What are some Steps I Can Take to Avoid a Motorcycle Accident?
You can take steps as a rider to avoid being involved in an accident. Here are some safety tips:
- Wear proper clothing – Wearing bright colors or reflective gear will make you more visible to other drivers.
- Obey the speed limit – speeding is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Be aware of your surroundings – always be on the lookout for potential hazards.
- Use proper lighting – make sure your motorcycle has working headlights and taillights.
How Can I Reduce the Chances of Being Injured?
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, there are steps you can take to reduce the chances of being injured:
- Wear proper gear – always wear a helmet and other protective gear.
- Avoid road rash – if you are thrown from your motorcycle, try to roll away from the impact.
- Get out of the way – if you can, move yourself and your motorcycle out of traffic.
- Take a motorcycle safety course – learning how to handle your bike properly can help you avoid an accident.
- Keep your bike maintained – regular maintenance can help you avoid mechanical problems that could cause an accident.
What Should I Do If I am in a Motorcycle Accident?
So, what do you do if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a motorcycle accident? Here are some steps to take:
- Check for injuries and call for medical help if necessary. This should be your priority after an accident. Do a quick check of yourself and your passengers to see if anyone is injured. If anyone is injured, call 911 right away.
- Move your motorcycle out of the way of traffic. If possible, move your motorcycle to the side of the road to avoid blocking traffic. This will help prevent any further accidents from occurring.
- Gather information from the other driver (or drivers). Once you have ensured that everyone is okay, you will need to exchange information with the other driver (or drivers). This includes getting their name, contact information, insurance company, and policy number. You should also get the license plate number of the other vehicle (or vehicles).
- Take photographs of the accident scene. If you have a camera or a cell phone with a camera, take pictures of the accident scene. These pictures can be helpful when it comes time to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
- Get witness information. If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their names and contact information. Witnesses can help prove who was at fault for the accident.
- Call the police. Even if there are no injuries, you should call the police. The police will create a report of the accident, which can be helpful in an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
- Contact your insurance company. Once you have gathered all the necessary information, you must contact your insurance company to begin the claims process. If you have been injured, you will also need a personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.
Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be wondering if you need to hire a lawyer. The answer is maybe. If the accident was minor and there were no injuries, you may be able to handle the insurance claim on your own. However, if the accident results in serious injuries, you will likely need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney at Baumgartner Law Firm.
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you in many ways. First, they can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can also help you gather evidence to support your claim, such as witness statements and photographs of the accident scene. Additionally, an attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve. Finally, an attorney can file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf if necessary.
The cost of getting an attorney for a motorcycle accident is not something to worry about if you are injured.
If more than one person is hurt in a bike accident, each person can have their own claim.
What Can I Expect From a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
No two cases are alike, so it is difficult to say precisely what you can expect from a motorcycle accident lawsuit. However, there are some general things that you can expect.
First, if you decide to file a lawsuit, you will need to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident. This can be done by showing that the other driver violated a traffic law or was driving recklessly. Once liability has been established, you will need to prove that you were injured in the accident and that the other driver’s negligence caused your injuries. This can be done with medical records and expert testimony.
If you successfully prove your case, you may be awarded damages. These damages can include medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, etc. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will be able to help you understand what damages you may be entitled to and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Filing a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
Yes, there are some risks associated with filing a motorcycle accident lawsuit. First, if you decide to file a lawsuit, you will need to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident. This can be difficult to do, and there is no guarantee that you will be successful. Additionally, even if you successfully prove your case, the other driver may not have enough insurance coverage to compensate you for your injuries.
Another risk is that lawsuits can take a long time to resolve. This means that you may not receive the compensation you need promptly. Additionally, if you do not have health insurance, your medical bills may pile up while waiting for your case to be resolved.
Finally, it is essential to understand that there is always a possibility that you could lose your case. If this happens, you will not receive any compensation for your injuries.
Call Us Today for a Free Consultation
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Houston, TX, call our motorcycle accident lawyers for a free consultation. We will review your case and help you understand your legal options. There is no risk, obligation, or cost for your consultation, so call us today at (281) 587-1111.
6711 Cypress Creek Pkwy
Houston, TX 77069