(281) 587-1111

What You Need To Know About The Texas Crime Victims’ Fund


There are many instances where a serious injustice and crime occurs and the innocent victim is left holding the bag. This can happen when someone gets into an accident with a drunk driver and for whatever reason the driver was not covered by insurance. Can also occur in many other ways where the victim is not compensated or is an adequately compensated for their injuries.

The Texas Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund provides an avenue for innocent victims to collect necessary compensation in certain instances. The fund is run by the Atty. Gen. of the state of Texas. Victims must first seek help from other sources such as health insurance, Medicaid or Medicare, car insurance or even Worker’s Compensation.

The maximum available for approved benefits under the fund is $50,000. However, people with permanent disability because of a covered crime may qualify for an additional $75,000 and some additional expenses covered under the act.


* The crime must have occurred in the state of Texas to a Texas resident or United States resident or

*  the crime must involve a Texas resident who becomes a victim in another state or country that does not have crime victim compensation benefits.


The crime must have been reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency within a reasonable period of time and certainly within a time where the investigation or prosecution of the climb will not be hampered.


Generally, the application for benefits must be submitted within three years the date of the crime. However, the filing date may be extended if good cause is shown for such situations as the age of the victim or physical or mental incapacity.


The victim must cooperate fully with the appropriate law enforcement agencies.


Article 56.32 provides the following individuals may qualify for benefits:

  • An innocent victim of crime who suffers physical and/or emotional harm or death
  • an authorized individual acting on behalf of a victim
  • a person who legally assumes the obligations or voluntarily pays certain expenses related to the crime on behalf of the victim
  • a dependent of a victim
  • an immediate family member or household members related by blood or marriage who require psychiatric care or counseling as a result of the crime
  • someone who goes to the aid of the victim or a peace officer
  • a peace officer, fire fighter, or individual whose employment includes the duty of protecting the public


Crimes that involve “criminally injure us conduct”, meaning conduct that occurs or is attempted or possesses a substantial threat of personal injury or death and is or would be punishable by fine, imprisonment or death. Sex offenses, kidnapping, aggravated robbery, assault, arson and homicide and other violent crimes which cause physical or emotional harm generally qualify.

Additionally, if you motor vehicle related crimes are also covered and they include: failure to stop and render aid, DWI, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, aggravated assault, intoxicated manslaughter and intoxication assault.

Benefits are not available to those you participate in the crime either knowingly or willingly, is an offender or accomplice of the offender, was incarcerated at the time of the crime or knowingly or intentionally submit false information to the Attorney General.


Claims that are approved can receive compensation for crime related expenses such as:

  • medical, hospital, physical therapy or nursing care
  • psychiatric care or counseling
  • loss of wages due to medical treatment
  • care of a child or a dependent
  • loss of support
  • funeral and burial expenses and
  • other related crime expenses.

And additional benefits can be obtained for victims with total and permanent disability.


Claims may be approved for benefits up to a total of $50,000. These funds may be paid to the victim/claimant or to service providers on behalf of the victim.

Medical Expense benefits related to the crime are calculated using statutory guidelines. Benefits may be paid for hospitals, doctors, ambulance services, prescriptions, dental work, nursing homes, and medical appliances such as wheelchairs and prosthetics.

Mental Health Care in the form of outpatient therapy from a licensed provider is available up to a $3,000 maximum. Approved in-patient hospital treatment is available for a maximum of 30 days at a rate of $600 per day. Approved residential treatment is available for $400 per day. Pre-authorization may be required for either benefit.

Lost Wages may be paid to a victim who is unable to work as a result of physical or mental injuries related to the crime. Lost wages may also be awarded when a victim misses time from work to seek medical treatments for crime-related injuries or when the victim and/or claimant takes part in the criminal justice process (other than subpoenaed testimony). The award maximum is $500 per week.

Bereavement Leave is available to immediate family or household members of a deceased victim.

Child/dependent care expenses may be covered as a new expense directly resulting from the crime. Pre-existing child care costs are not reimbursable. Child care benefits for dependent(s) of a surviving victim may be limited to a maximum of 90 days. The award is paid at the actual cost of care, not to exceed $100 per week, per dependent or minor child in a licensed day care facility or provider.

Loss of Support benefits are available to dependents of homicide victims. The maximum benefit is $500 per week and is calculated from the victim’s salary. Loss of support is also available to dependents of victims (usually in family violence cases) for 90 days.

Funeral and Burial Expenses include reimbursement for professional burial services, flowers, caskets, urns and grave markers. The maximum award for these costs is $4,500. Costs for transporting the body to another state or country are awarded in addition to the $4,500 maximum.


You can apply for compensation by calling 1-800-983-9933, or you can click here to download an application which can be filled out and mailed in at the address provided. https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/files/cvs/cvcapplication.pdf

You can also email the office of the Attorney General here: crimevictims@texasattorneygeneral.gov



Please Note We Do Not Handle Crimes Victim Fund Cases.- This post is for informational purposes only!