Have you encountered a drunk driver in Houston? You may be able to prevent a devastating accident by reporting that individual to the appropriate authorities. Or, if you have been in an accident with a drunk driver, protect your future by contacting Baumgartner Law Firm.
If you want to report a drunk driver in Texas, you can call 1-800-525-5555, the motorist’s helpline (the number is on the back of your Texas driver’s license.
Houston is the largest city in the State of Texas. With more than 2.2 million residents, motor vehicle accidents are far from uncommon. Although many crashes occur by accident, there’s nothing accidental about getting into a vehicle while under the influence. Rather, drunk driving is a willful and negligent accident that can have life-altering consequences.
According to the National Highway Transportation Administration, about 31% of fatal vehicle accidents involve a driver with blood alcohol limits above the legal limit.
If you encounter a drunk driver in Houston, you can positively affect the situation. Not sure how to intervene? Don’t worry—Baumgartner Law Firm is here to help. This article will explain everything you need to know about how to report a drunk driver in Houston, including tips for identifying and reporting people you suspect of driving while intoxicated.
As dedicated accident attorneys, we’ve helped countless clients across Texas navigate the complexities of our legal system. If you suffered injuries in an accident caused by someone else, we may be able to help you secure compensation. Call us at (281) 587-1111 to learn more.
How Do You Report a Drunk Driver Near Me?
The first step in reporting a drunk driver near me is identifying a drunk driver. Often, it is not hard to do because the intoxicated driver is driving erratically and dangerously. Or you may have seen someone obviously intoxicated leave a bar.
Identifying a drunk driver isn’t always straightforward—especially if the driver isn’t behaving or driving strangely. Although it’s impossible to gauge the sobriety of every driver on the road accurately, most drunk drivers display a few of the same behaviors.
Common indicators of impaired driving include:
- erratic or swerving movements,
- abrupt lane changes without signaling,
- swerving in and out of lanes,
- excessive speeding, driving significantly below the speed limit, and
- inconsistent use of headlights
- judgment issues like following too closely.
It’s important to note that intoxication is not the only cause of erratic, irresponsible driving; overly fatigued drivers display many of the same delayed responses and unpredictable movements.
Steps to Report a Drunk Driver
After identifying a potentially impaired driver, it’s up to you to report what you’ve seen. However, maintaining your safety during this process is of paramount importance. Here are the steps we recommend for safely reporting a drunk driver in Houston:
- Maintain a safe distance. If you suspect a driver is under the influence, prioritize your safety and the safety of others on the road. Keep a safe distance from the vehicle and avoid attempting to confront or engage with the impaired driver.
- Observe and note details. Carefully observe and make mental notes about the vehicle’s make, model, color, and license plate number. Take notice of any distinctive features, such as bumper stickers or dents that could help law enforcement identify the vehicle later.
- Call 911. The fastest and most effective way to report a drunk driver is by calling 911. Provide the emergency dispatcher with detailed information about the observed behavior, the vehicle, and the location. Be prepared to provide your location; this information is crucial for law enforcement to respond quickly. You can also report a suspected drunk driver by calling the Texas Motorists Helpline at 1-800-525-5555.
- Remain on the line. Emergency dispatchers may need additional information or clarification. Stay on the line until they have all the details they require. Remember that prompt and accurate reporting could save lives, but you shouldn’t endanger yourself. If remaining on the line while driving puts you at risk for an accident, it’s important to pull over or end the call.
- Do not attempt to intervene. While it may be tempting to try to stop a drunk driver, this task is best left to law enforcement professionals who have training on how to handle the situation. Your primary responsibility is to report the incident and allow trained officers to address the issue safely.
Reporting a drunk driver in Houston is not just a civic duty. It is also critical in preventing accidents, injuries, and even fatalities. If you have additional questions about how to report a drunk driver in Houston, it’s a good idea to contact an experienced attorney.
Like the rest of Texas, Houston has serious laws in place to battle drunk driving. Being charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) can result in serious legal consequences, including license suspension, fines, mandatory alcohol education programs, and even imprisonment.
Reporting a drunk driver is critical in preventing accidents and protecting the community. However, we must also focus on proactive measures to reduce the prevalence of drunk driving. As experienced personal injury lawyers, we advocate for the following initiatives:
- Education and awareness. Supporting educational programs and campaigns that raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving is crucial. By fostering a culture of responsibility and accountability, we can work towards reducing the number of individuals who choose to drive under the influence.
- Community involvement. Engaging with local organizations like MADD and community initiatives that address substance abuse can contribute to creating a safer environment. By participating in or supporting events that promote responsible behavior, we can collectively work towards preventing drunk driving accidents.
- Advocacy for stricter laws. As experienced accident attorneys, we are committed to advocating for legislation that strengthens penalties for drunk driving offenses. Stricter laws can act as a deterrent and hold those who endanger others on the road accountable for their actions. Also, Texas needs stricter laws stopping bars from over-serving patrons.
- The large number of fatal DWI accidents. According to NHTSA, 31% of all fatal car accidents involve the use of alcohol. One wrongful death accident every 39 minutes. The fight to save lives requires everyone’s help.
If a drunk driver injures you, you may be dealing with serious injuries and other significant losses. Luckily, you do have legal recourse. The drunk driving accident attorneys at Baumgartner Law Firm can help you explore your options for securing compensation.
As experienced accident and injury lawyers in Houston, we have witnessed the devastating toll that drunk driving accidents take on our community. We believe every individual has a role in promoting road safety, including reporting drunk driving when you see it.
Remember, your actions could save lives and prevent unnecessary suffering. By promptly reporting suspected drunk drivers, supporting educational initiatives, and advocating for stricter laws, we can work together to create a safer and more responsible driving culture.
Still, have questions about how to report a drunk driver in Houston or what to do after an accident with a drunk driver? Contact Baumgartner Law Firm for guidance. We have the resources and expertise to handle your case from start to finish and can help you navigate the legal complexities of drunk driving accidents.
Ready to begin your healing journey? We’re here to discuss your options for securing the compensation you need and deserve to recover. Call us at (281) 587-1111 or fill out the contact form on our website to schedule a free consultation with one of our compassionate legal professionals today.
6711 Cypress Creek Pkwy, Houston, TX, 77069