(281) 587-1111

Car Accident Claims

If you have been injured in an auto accident in Texas, and have not made an injury claim before, it is helpful to understand the process before you speak with the adjustor for the driver who injured you.

Adjustors in serious injury cases usually seek a statement from the victim very soon after the accident is reported to the insurance company. This is especially true in cases where the insurer perceives significant exposure, like a wrongful deathdrunk driver, or commercial vehicle (18 wheeler) accident. Generally, the more serious the potential claim, the nicer and more helpful-appearing are the adjustors.

Do not fall for it! The truth is, the adverse adjustor is out to settle the claim for as little as possible (or if they can find a defense, to deny the claim). Usually, giving a statement to the adjustor before seeking advice from an experienced auto accident attorney is a mistake. Some of the adverse adjustors’ questions are designed solely to help the insurance company defend the claim and pay as little as possible. Examples of such are questions about past claims history, or lawsuits, other injuries, prior car accidents, and describing every area of injury (prior to some physicians testing, etc.). It is best to obtain advice from an experienced car accident lawyer with a track record of success before giving any statements.

Uninsured Drivers

Ever more frequently, given the economic downturn, our clients are involved in auto accidents where they are seriously injured and the other driver is uninsured or has minimal policy limits. In these cases it is important to determine early on if you have uninsured/underinsured accident coverage. If you do have such coverage, in effect your insurer stands responsible for the damages caused by the uninsured or underinsured driver. In that case, your own insurer becomes adverse to your interest in getting full and fair compensation.

If you have any questions, on an auto accident claim please call give us a call at (281) 587-1111 or fill out the case evaluation form on this page for a no-obligation consultation.