What Types of Damages am I Entitled to in a Truck Accident Injury Case?
Written by greg on June 4, 2019
Truck accidents are among the most serious types of crashes and often cause severe or life-threatening injuries. Commercial trucks can weigh in at 80,000 pounds, making them extremely difficult to control and stop quickly to prevent an accident. When you or a loved one is hurt in an accident with a big rig, your first concern is your health. You need to undergo a variety of medical and rehabilitative treatments during the recovery process. Medical costs associated with serious injuries can add up quickly. You could be facing astronomical expenses and may not know where you are going to get the money to pay your bills. Fortunately, the negligent truck driver and/or his trucking company may be responsible for your damages.
What Types of Damages can You Receive in Texas?
You may experience a number of damages as a result of a crash with a negligent truck driver. Damages may be economic or non-economic. Economic damages are those that you can measure, such as medical expenses and lost wages. Non-economic damages include such things as pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Damages can be compensatory or punitive. Compensatory damages are designed to put you back into the position you were in prior to the injury. Punitive damages are punishment for negligent acts.
- Medical: Medical expenses can add up quickly. You should always keep records of your medical visits, exams, and treatment. Medical damages include both current and future costs. For example, you may require surgery at a later date.
- Lost Wages and Loss of Earning Capacity: If you were seriously injured you may be unable to work for a period of time. The negligent party may be responsible for paying the wages you lost due to your injury. If your earning capacity decreased because of a permanent disability caused by the accident, you may be owed compensation.
- Physical Impairment or Disfigurement: If your injury is disabling, it may mean that you cannot work and may have limited mobility. Disfigurement happens when your injury causes permanent damage. For instance, you might need to have a limb amputated or you might be burned and will never be the same again. The damages for these types of injuries are often calculated using standard insurance formulas.
- Physical Pain and Suffering: You cannot measure the costs associated with physical pain and suffering. However, the more severe the injury, the more physical pain and suffering you have likely endured. You must suffer an actual injury in order to receive compensation.
- Mental Anguish: You may be emotionally damaged due to the accident. Accidents are extremely stressful. If the accident was traumatic, you may need to participate in therapy to overcome anxiety caused by the injuries from the crash.
Help Getting the Compensation You Deserve
Even if you are entitled to money for your damages, it is not always easy to obtain. You need to work with insurance companies and others to prove that the accident was caused by the other driver’s negligence and that you sustained injuries due to the crash. You do not need to go it alone. All too often, the insurance company may offer a low settlement to end the case quickly. An experienced Houston personal injury attorney will work on your behalf to negotiate a fair settlement.
Call the Trucking Accident Attorneys
Contact our trucking accident legal team at Baumgartner Law Firm to discuss the details of your accident case today.