Tips For Safe Driving In The Rain
Written by greg on September 18, 2015
Driving in the rain can be very dangerous. This is especially true in Houston as we can get up to 5 inches of rain in just a few hours.
The most important tip for driving in the rain is to slow down. It takes more time to stop and with windshield wipers going it also takes longer to recognize a danger.
Some tips for driving in the rain:
- Stay in the middle lanes or to the highest lane- water collects in the lower lanes.
- Increase your safe driving distance (increase the 3 second rule in rain).
- Do not follow pickups or large trucks closely as they kick up water from the larger tires and impede your vision.
- Try not to slam on your brakes and take your foot off the gas to slow down if you can.
- Be extremely cautious when the rain is coming down hard and always stay within the limits of your visibility. Heavy rain can result in a temporary loss of vision.
- Never ever drive through moving water, if you can’t see the ground don’t drive through it.
- Keep your windshield wipers replaced with new windshield wipers.
- In very heavy rain consider not driving at all.
- If you see changes to the contours of the road slowdown as a flooded roadway may be ahead.
- Particularly be wary of places where floodwater may collect. Dips in highways under bridges and underpasses are all potentially dangerous for collected water.
- If you find yourself hydroplaning follow these simple rules: a) do not brake suddenly b) easier foot off the gas c) turned your steering wheel in the direction of the skid, as you recover control gently straighten the wheels d) If you must break use a gentle pumping action, if your vehicle has antilock brakes you may break normally because the computer will supply the breaking action.
- Make sure your tires are in good condition and have adequate tread depth. It is the contact of your tire on the road that gives you control, groves between treads seem to channel water giving the tread contact with the road. In wet regions such as Houston consider getting special rain tires.
If you have been injured in a car wreck and would like to speak with a car wreck injury attorney in Houston, call (281) 587-1111.
Brought to you by: