Rollover Accidents – Can Be Deadly
Written by Greg on June 16, 2014
Vehicles such as SUVs, vans, mini-vans and pickup trucks are more susceptible to rollover, then a typical passenger car. Rollover accidents are extremely dangerous and frequently turned deadly for the occupants.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, rollover accidents claim more than 10,000 people each year. There are estimated to be close to 300,000 rollover accidents each year in the United States.
A very high percentage of rollovers turn out to be fatal. With SUVs as high as 35% of the fatal accidents included a rollover. Ejection is a common cause of a fatality in a rollover accident.
Causes of rollover accidents can vary but all are related to the stability of the vehicle and the more top-heavy the vehicle the more likely a rollover is to occur. The higher the center of gravity particularly with a narrow wheelbase can lead to instability and rollover.
Some of the more common causes of rollover accidents:
* Overcorrection by the driver – in emergency situations such as a tire blowout or something in the traveled portion of the roadway requiring correction, a driver will overreact and jerked the wheel suddenly to the side, which causes a loss of control of the vehicle and rollover.
* A ramp accident – when a driver encounters a ramp such as a tree stump or a guardrail, which leads to an uneven axis for the vehicle, the vehicle can easily overturn such as rollovers in the movies when a vehicle actually intentionally enters a ramp.
* SUVs such as an 18-passenger van when fully loaded or especially susceptible to rollover accidents with their high center of gravity.
* Running off the highway at an angle can lead to a rollover when the vehicle turns at a speed sufficient to cause a rollover. In effect, one side of the vehicle grabs and causes the vehicle to flip.
* Steep slopes can also lead to a rollover when the vehicles driven off-road and the vehicle start sliding sideways downhill.
Regardless the cause, there is no doubt that rollover accidents are some of the most deadly frequently lead to serious injury and death.
If you or loved one have been involved in a rollover accident please contact the accident attorneys at the Baumgartner Law Firm for a no obligation consultation regarding a potential case. We have successfully helped many families after rollover accident.