How to be Environmentally Friendly
Written by Greg on May 12, 2015
It is no secret that there is some environmental concern that is raised about the state of the planet. One hears a great deal of information about melting ice caps, noxious gases released into the atmosphere, and other harmful negative effects.
However, this is often on a grander scale. While one may not be able to control these factors, there is a lot an individual can do on their own in order to promote an eco-friendly and sustainable environment for future generations. Being eco-friendly refers to the idea of having an environmentally conscious lifestyle in order to ensure products and practices being used are what are best for the environment.
So how can you be more eco-friendly? Here are some tips:
- Turn off your computer when not in use. Even in “sleep” mode your computer is still using valuable energy. Thus, when not in use your computer should be turned off completely.
- Watch your heating! While you are out of the house it’s a good practice to adjust your thermostat accordingly to save energy. It is recommended that that you turn your thermostat to 68 degrees during the winter and 55 degrees at night.
- Carpools / Rental Cars. Carpooling on your daily commute can not only help save natural resources, but can also save you money. When travelling long distances consider renting a hybrid vehicle.
- Buy rechargeable batteries. Not only is it important to learn how to properly dispose of old batteries, but you can also look into buying rechargeable batteries as well. This can also help save you money in the long run.
- There are many different guides available online that will help you better understand what can be recycled and how to go about doing it. Recycling is essentially because it creates less waste for the planet as a whole.
- Check for eco-friendly/recycle products. Many containers will list whether or not they can be recycled, often shown with the recycle symbol. In addition, many products will also list whether or not they are eco-friendly and how. Products like beauty supplies, household cleaners, and so forth can be bought with sustainability in mind.
- Use Fewer Plastics. Plastics can be extremely harmful to the environment. They can cause damage to the ecosystem, kill a large scale of migrating birds and sea life, and can even be harmful to human health, pending on when the products were made and with what chemicals. One way to cut back on plastics is to use reusable canvas shopping bags, opt for bakery and deli fresh products (in which you can request paper packaging), and being more conscious about what products you are buying in general.
- Educate Others. Perhaps the number one thing you can do to be more environmentally friendly is to share your knowledge with others!
As you can see, there are many different practices and methods you can use in order to become more environmentally friendly. It is also worth noting that many of these practices can also help you save money, and use fewer resources as a whole.
All of us can do our part to be “green” friendly.
Brought to you by: