Houston Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
Written by greg on April 28, 2014
The number of fatal and serious injury accidents where alcohol was a factor is appalling.
Some facts on a national level:
* Every 51 minutes someone is killed in an accident involving alcohol.
* One out of every three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash sometime in their lifetime.
* An average drunk driver has driven while intoxicated at least 80 times prior to their first arrest.
Some Texas related facts:
* In the year 2012, in Texas, almost 1300 people were killed in accidents where alcohol was a factor.
* Harris County has the greatest number of drunk driving fatalities.
* In 2012, Harris County had at least 175 fatalities involving drinking drivers.
Every week we hear news reports about car wrecks in the Houston are that involved drinking drivers and serious injury or death. The impact to our community can not be overstated. Families are torn apart and lives forever changed. We have some very important organizations such as MADD that help to inform and seek to reduce the number of DWI accidents.
However, we all can do our part and lead by example and talk with our children about drinking and driving.