10 Tips for Injury Automobile Accidents
Written by greg on October 14, 2018
You have been hurt in a car accident, and the other persons insurance company is on the phone- what do you need to know? Here are ten tips:
- You need to understand that the insurance adjuster is on the other side and wants to pay you as little as possible- or nothing! Do not trust that the adjuster has your interests at heart-they don’t.
- What you say truly can hurt you. It is important to be truthful, with the insurance adjuster and it is best to talk with a Houston car injury claims attorney prior to giving any recorded statement.
- Follow up with your doctors and heed their treatment advice. Large lapses in treatment will result in the insurance company discounting your claim.
- Get photographs of the automobile accident site, the damaged part of your car, the other person’s car and any visible injuries.
- Keep all paperwork, witness names and numbers, the officers name and case number and of course the insurance information of the other driver. Many people trust the officer to keep the witness information- they more often than not don’t.
- Realize that your own auto insurance policy may provide benefits to you independent of the at fault drivers insurance in an accident. You pay for it- if you have it, use it.
- Just because, you were released from the emergency room does not mean you are going to be fine. Emergency rooms are designed for emergencies, not ongoing treatment and x-rays do not show some common serious spinal cord injuries like herniated discs on Ct scans or MRI will diagnose a bulge or herniated disc. If you still are having issues go to a doctor of your choosing.
- Never ever contemplate setting your auto accident injury claim until you have been released from your doctor and feel fine, or you have a good handle on what the future will be medically.
- Unless your case is one where the insurance company has big exposure-(a drunk driver hits you, you had to have surgery from the accident and have big bills, you were hit by an 18-wheeler that was at fault in a major wreck) your injury will be just another claim in the computer to the adjuster
10. If you have been seriously injured, get a no obligation consultation with an experienced car accident attorney.